CHOMP! CHEW! CHOP CHOP! GRIND! CHOMP CHOMP!
What type of teeth does your favorite animal have?
Animals have all different kinds of teeth. They need the right kind of
teeth to eat the food they like. Some have a few, some have a lot. Some
lose them only once, some lose them every day.
Here are some animal teeth facts:
- Meat-eaters (carnivores) have sharp teeth.
- Plant-eaters (herbivores) have flat teeth.
- Animals that eat both plants and meat, like humans, have sharp teeth in front and flat teeth at the back.
- Sharks lose teeth each week. They get new teeth when they lose the old ones. They may have over 20,000 teeth in a lifetime.
- Poisonous snakes have hollow fangs that eject poison.
- Giraffes have 32 teeth, just like humans.
- Elephants have four sets of teeth in their lifetime. Their tusks are the longest teeth in the world.
have more teeth than any other animal. Some dolphins have over 200
teeth. Scientists can tell the age of a dolphin by the rings on their
- Snowshoe rabbits fight with their teeth.
whales don't have teeth. Instead they have stiff, fringed plates, made
of the same stuff as human hair and fingernails. They hang down from
the upper jaw and trap small fish and other food.
Word Search Puzzle
Click to open file
Click on the animal name to see a big picture that you can print out and color.